The AMS Council recently approved a reduction in the cost of membership for those living in countries with developing economies. AMS President J. Marshall Shepherd announced the change in this message:
As the new American Meteorological Society (AMS) President for 2013, I am pleased to inform you of a recent change to the AMS dues structure that directly impacts those living in resource-restricted areas. Effective immediately, scientists and other professionals residing in countries with developing economies (CDE) are entitled to AMS membership for just $20, a fraction of the regular member cost.
The current list of eligible countries as approved by the AMS Council may be located on the AMS Web site at http://www.ametsoc.org/MEMB/
I urge you to take advantage of this opportunity to enhance your networking and professional development. AMS CDE membership runs on a calendar year basis (January-December) and includes a subscription to Digital BAMS (www.ametsoc.org/digitalbams/)
, published monthly. Journal subscriptions are optional and may be purchased at the discounted member rate. Additional benefits specific only to members include:
- Full access to Digital BAMS, the online version of Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society (BAMS), the official publication of the AMS
- Subscription to AMS News You Can Use, a weekly electronic newsletter that highlights topics in meteorology and related sciences from sources around the world
- Society journals at greatly reduced subscription rates and deep discounts on new and classic titles in the collection of AMS Books
- Discounted registration fees for AMS annual and specialty meetings and continuing education programs
- Special Member privileges on our AMS Online Career Center
- Full voting privileges
An application for CDE membership may be downloaded from http://www.ametsoc.org/MEMB/
apps/2013apps/cde_app.pdf and returned to AMS by fax or mail. Please refer to the application form itself for specific instructions. If you have any questions regarding AMS membership or the application process, our Member Services department is available by email at email@example.com or by phone at 617-227-2425 to assist you.
Join AMS and be part of a diverse and dynamic national and international scientific network that’s 14,000 members strong. I encourage you to fully immerse yourself into the Society, and where possible, engage in the numerous opportunities to contribute, such as volunteering for committee service or nominating fellow colleagues for awards. Help shape the future of our profession by becoming a member today.
Dr. J. Marshall Shepherd
President, American Meteorological Society